5 Reasons Why a Business Credit Card Might Be Right for You
If you’re a small business owner, you likely enjoy hearing about how well-known companies got their funding and scaled their businesses. Many successful entrepreneurs who share their experiences talk about how they financed their start-ups in creative ways, including some who used personal credit cards to fund their small businesses endeavors. While some of these stories end in success, personal credit cards, with their high interest rates and low credit limits, were never designed to be used to finance a business.
Luckily, today there is a plethora of credit card options for entrepreneurs. In fact, business credit cards can be a valuable tool for small business owners trying to build credit, keep personal and business expenses separate, and smooth over temporary cash flow issues. And as an added benefit, most business credit cards allow you to earn rewards points for certain business-related purchases and come with higher credit limits than personal credit cards.
Still on the fence? Here’s a list of advantages for using business credit cards to help finance your business expenses.
- More Spending Power. Business credit cards typically carry credit limits of $50,000 or more. This makes it much easier to make major business purchases versus using cash or a personal credit card.
- Increased Credit Score. Many entrepreneurs are sabotaging their credit scores without knowing it; but did you know that having a business credit card and using it wisely (i.e. making your payments on time) can actually boost your credit score? Just make sure you do business with partners who report your transactions to the credit bureaus.
- Easier Taxes. With business credit cards, gone are the days of sorting out which expenses were for the business and which expenses were for the family. By keeping all of your business purchases on one card, you’ll be amazed how much simpler your accounting will be come tax time.
- Business Perks. Many credit card companies offer specific perks for their lineup of business credit card products. These perks include 5% off on hotels, up to 10% off at office supply stores, as well as 90 days of purchase protection and extended warranties.
- Help Weathering the Storm. If your business slows down for a time and your cash flow is minimal, a business credit card can help your survive those tough times. Business credit cards are a lifesaver when it comes to purchasing supplies and paying suppliers. Likewise, if you’re just getting started, a business credit card can help you cover your overhead and purchase equipment until you begin to generate revenue.
If you feel like a business credit card might be a good fit for you, explore the options, and as always, be advised that the pitfalls of credit card debt apply to business credit cards just as they do to personal credit cards, so make sure to use your credit cards wisely.